Large Diaphragm Condenser MIC for Vocal /VO recording under 500$

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by LeMec, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Producer

I still often buy cheap mics, For a few purposes, One of them being that one of them might just be good or a real one trick pony but a good one trick. Also diddling around with one of my simple rack devices, I have a few of these now which enables one to vary the impedance of a microphone going into a pre-amp, They are awesome little things which just sit between a mic and a preamp input, The results that can be had are really rather good. The little device is by a company called Magneto Audio Labs and the product itself is called 'VariOhm', I'll see if I can find the webpage/hopefully they've not disappeared like a lot of small but good hardware developers that are new/not established do. Just in case yourself or anyone else fancies checking one out...Ah yes here it is and their website:
    http://www.magnetoaudiolabs.com/products.html and http://www.magnetoaudiolabs.com
    Tinkering with modifications is also something I like to do and mic's which are dirt cheap are the perfect subjects of such, Then if the fiddling has made a difference for the better, I'll often apply it to some more pricey models, Dynamics and ribbons are perfect for switching transformers and even in the case of some dynamics, Sound better with the cheap, nasty onehunglow transformer removed (As long as you've got a decent mic pre which is very clean and has bags of gain, Same principal really as getting the optimal results from a ribbon mic, Not the variety with the built-in phantom powered pre-amp even though I do like a good number of those newer types of ribbon mics).
    That little unassuming device honestly can change a mediocre mic into a good mic, Such a useful piece of kit :wink:
    Absolutely a great call and I'm always routing around for used gear, It is really worth the effort as it's possible to score gear for so much less than any retailer even selling used gear charge. Well put and sage advice which is true for almost all audio gear :wink:

All the best to you both and to all as always, It's always a pleasure hearing other's experiences and insights on all manner of topics audio related, Such a friendly community too which I can not stress the refreshing feeling of, A lot of others are just full of elitist snobs, know it all types that are condescending instead of genuine in sharing advice...etc. Cheers

Dean

Edit: This is well worth a read or grabbing the PDF as it is from microphonedata (a really useful resource/data site that has the crucial details of practically any/every mic you could imagine in an easy searchable database). The possibilities are really endless and it's an area that isn't covered enough IMextremelyHumbleO that could save people a load of shekels and/or for just creative purposes. http://microphone-data.com/media/filestore/articles/Mic impedance-10.pdf

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  2. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

Audio Technica AT2035 - my most affordable favourite with no compromises.

3. superliquidsunshine

superliquidsunshine Audiosexual

Everywhere at once but no place in particular
    I might just be picking up one of these. Besides being able possibly to save time and energy by maybe leaving a mic up and change the color for another application and extend the usefulness of all my microphones, I can buy it for the paltry sum of 69 bucks. Thanks for the info.

4. Thankful

Thankful Platinum Record

The OP's search is difficult to help as he seeks a mic for (singing) vocals and voice-over recording (if that's what you mean by VO). I imagine that singers and voice-over talent use mics in different ways, so a condenser that's suitable for singers might not be the best for voice-overs. I have been recording voice-overs professionally for 8 years with my own RODE NT 1-A at home. The recording quality is stunning and it's affordable. I thought I'd contribute this post since the terms VO or voice-over have only appeared in the title of the thread and never again in any of the posts.

5. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Rock Star

My MPA has variable impedance which really can change the color of the mic. That's a great device for pre's which don't have variable impedance, @Death Thash Doom.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Platinum Record

Superb example of price/sound ratio some of us where speaking about ;) For under 300 bucks, nowadays we can get amazing mics.

7. bluerover

bluerover Platinum Record

8. superliquidsunshine

superliquidsunshine Audiosexual

Everywhere at once but no place in particular
    Anything Stam is killer. My issue is the oft time long wait for some of his gear way past promised delivery dates and scattered miscommunication when it comes to his customer service. His SA4000 stereo bus compressor is the shit and the people that I know who use it drool over the glue that it tacks tracks together with. High grade components throughout and the price of his outboard gear offerings just cannot be beaten, not by Warm Audio or anybody else. And how many gear manufacturers do you know work out of Chile? His LA2A version is on my list of "I want".

9. Death Thash Doom

Hey, Anytime I can share something cool with a fellow that is useful information or a bit of gear then I'm happy to do so, It is what I like about enthusiastic audio communities and more so the people they bring together :wink:
    That's a great price that you can grab one for! If you find it useful then would love to hear/read about it, There are only a number of mic pre's I can count on one hand which I've used and/or have which feature any form of impedance switching capabilities, Since it makes quite a difference I would of thought it might have become more common but I'm useless at predicting "trends" hehe

Nice one and as always all the best

10. Death Thash Doom

Awesome, I do have some ART bits and think for the money their stuff is really rather good. I've not come across that one/used one but knowing that I'll be keeping an eye out for one used preferably. I wasn't/am not sure you mean ART as quite a few mic pre's from wallet friendly to eye wateringly expensive are called MPA/MPA-1 or similar variation but just looked at ART's site and they are advertising a PRO MPA II which fits the description, One example of a pretty damned expensive one with a similar name is by one of those small "boutique" kind of brands called CharterOak, It's an excellent mic dual or stereo mic preamp but no variable impedance on it, It's the type that I'd grab if I had for example like a pair of old/original Coles 4038's ribbons or similar but otherwise I just could not justify the kind of asking price, It's great at colouring signal as well as being super clean and healthy amounts of clean gain on tap but I try to prioritize things, Save and spend on more essential kind of stuff first, It doesn't help being a guitar player with an unhealthy appetite for new pedals and all the rest, So I have to be pretty strict with myself or I'd totally neglect the studio gear and upgrading just due to playing and guitar and bass gear being my first love after just being a humble music fan. I likely do not need to explain the torture and headaches to anyone here though about that and conflicts of head and heart when able to spend shekels, It is a sickness we all share to some extent I expect man, Thanks for the heads up on the ART MPA if it indeed is that which you mention, I like the price to quality & features ratio, So a used one would definitely find a space in the racks somewhere :wink:

Cheers

Dean

11. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Rock Star

That's exactly the one. Must've been on fast type mode that day.
    I've also got the ART MDC 2001 which I've been using as an insert on my boards Mains to add a little glue while summing through the console. Never thought of using it in my hardware chain, primarily was used for live vocal treatment, but as @superliquidsunshine pointed out to me, it's got really good specs for what it is. So yeah, ART stuff is pretty dang good for the money.