Adam S3H vs Hedd Type-30, can't decide.

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Evorax, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:36 PM.

1. Evorax

Evorax Platinum Record

Hi guys,

I'm less than 2 months away from getting my new monitors (plus 2 x Adam 12 subs, one for each speaker) and I was wondering...

Does any of you had the chance to listen to both those models?
    Their price is the same in UK, almost 5000 pound a pair, both models seems to pack some new tech and improved design.

Before I'm gonna compare them side in the store myself, I wanted to find out if any of you guys got across these.

Some people rave about S3H already, even preferring them over ATC SCM20MK2 in side by side comparisons.
    Not much info about the Type30 but seems as capable as S3H.

Thank you

3. Millenium

Millenium Producer

I compared these two models with many other and In my opinion the new "Adam S3H " are much better than Focal trio 6 Be / the SM 9 or the Hedd Type -30.

Sorry for my bad english ..

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017 at 3:20 PM
  4. Ari Linker

Ari Linker Newbie

With that kind of money i would get Barefoot speakers or Genelec 8351

5. Evorax

Evorax Platinum Record

Barefoots and Genelecs are not much value for the money IMHO.

I like the 8351 from Genelec but it's extra cost doesn't justify any advantage or performance over the new ADAMs which seems to have implemented a lot of bang for the buck in their new flagships, especially S3H which might even sound better than the 8351 and also seems to pack more features too. The new S3H even gives ATC a run for the money, lol.

I'll go to my local shop this Friday to finally test the S3H against the Genelecs, Hedd, Focal, Unity, Dynaudio (flagships), ATC, Quested, PMC and even Barefoot.

I'll update you guys in case you're curious how it went.

6. tonyg0499

tonyg0499 Ultrasonic

I prefer the HEDD Type 30 for a more transparent sound. I have always found the Adams to be a bit colored on the highs. With that said, I suggest that you test both models in your studio if it is a possibility.The interaction with the room is the main factor. make the decision with your EARS not your eyes.

7. Ari Linker

Ari Linker Newbie

You sound like a fanboy of Adam, so nobody here can make you choose other brand, Hedd is a spiritual brother of Adam, same league, 8351 have room correction like nobody else, their system make the subwoofer invisible, PSI in my ears sound better than those i mentioned, Barefoot and ATC are at the same fidelity level but barefoot has better lowend, ATC has better midrange, Lipinski are very very nice too, PMC are good too but i havent heard the TwoTwo series, only the big mastering ones, In the end its all personal taste, any speaker from this list would work to make great music, mixes and mastering. The room is half of the equation, but if you are looking for high end speakers your studio is already very well threated and you have experience in acoustics and engineering, anyway, let us know your opinions after you listen those monitors. Sorry for my bad english.

8. Evorax

Evorax Platinum Record

I might sound like an Adam fan-boy but that doesn't mean I'm one. It's just the amount of changes and features brought with their new series and the fact that all the drivers in these new Adam flagship speakers are re-designed and has NO same materials or similarities used in the previous generation.
    Even the cabinet/wave guide been redesigned as well and also some news states that ADAM reinforced their QC as well even tho the brand has been known for its reliable products already.
    Speaking of "colored highs" like some people used to find in the previous SX generation, the new S series has a new improved "S-Art" tweeter which some users consider it as smoother and less colored without sacrificing the level of detail reproduced. Which I think it might be that "cure" for the users who didn't like the highs from SX generation that much.

Ribbon tweeter it's not a bad thing. Been implemented by other high-end companies like Unity for example.

Now... To y'all disappointment towards me, I just wanna let you know that I'm buying high-end monitors just for production and a some slight "during-the-production" mixing.
    Even tho my room is well treated, I still wanna pay for a fresh pair of ears to give my songs the final touch.

So I hope that the Adams for example, can still sound as fun to work on production wise and not just purely flat. I think that the digital eq curves made possible on the back of the new S series to help me with the "hype" in case I need any.
    Some say that's exactly what makes the new eq curves a great feature in the new S series, making the monitors more versatile. You can switch to a colored curve for a hi-fi feeling just for the production alone then you switch to flat mode for the mixing purposes.

Still, I gotta go for that big personal monitors shoot-out in the store to get my final conclusion and judgment.

Thanks guys!

9. tonyg0499

tonyg0499 Ultrasonic

Remember the suggestion I made earlier. If you can arrange to have the monitors tested at your studio that should be the right way to do it. The interaction with your room is going to be playing a big part, a crucial one at that, in the way you perceive the sounds emanating from any monitor. Again, make the decision with your EARS in your studio not with your eyes based on what I or other members,manufacturers and reviewers write.

10. Millenium

Millenium Producer

A good DAC can make a big difference ...

11. Ari Linker

Ari Linker Newbie

Barefoot and Genelec also have different curve options too, I also would like to add Amphions, Augspurger and Tylers to the list, you still sound like an Adam sales representative.

12. Evorax

Evorax Platinum Record

Should I post a pic with my actual Dynaudio? LoL.

I myself wanted to get the Genelec 8351A initially cause I demoed them already in the past and it sounds awesome but then the new S series came out and I found out that for a bit less than the price of 8351As I can get more headroom/output (as S3H goes louder on paper than those Gens) and why not, the Darth Vader looks. I already booked my demoing in the store here in London and I'll post some pictures with the actual models that I compared and what I think overall.
    With this occasion, I will demo the 8351A again just to see how it stacks up against the other high end monitors. I'll keep y'all updated.

P. S. The Gens 8351A are a thousand pound more expensive than the S3H and taking in consideration that both are high end, I can actually save the thousand pound to invest into something else, like adding the thousand on top of my dedicated budget towards a new high end audio interface/DAC, like RME UFX+.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017 at 2:20 AM